Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now
Talking about:
2 posts
38,715 visits

Florida Electric Bill Payment Assistance Resources

friendshelpingfriends started this conversation

FPL's ASSIST Program encompasses a vast network of social service organizations located throughout our service territory. For more information on some of the energy assistance programs that are offered in FPL's service area, including agency names and phone numbers for your city or county, click on the links below:

Click Here For Website

Some of the energy assistance programs that are offered in FPL's service area include:

  • LIHEAP - Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (federally funded)
  • EHEAEP - Emergency Home Energy Assistance for the Elderly Program (federally funded)
  • FEMA/EFSP - Federal Emergency Management Agency - Emergency Food and Shelter Program (individual assistance)
  • FPL Care To Share - FPL's sponsored emergency assistance fund.

For preliminary eligibility requirements by program, please review the Eligibility Criteria matrix

LIHEAP Program

Annually, the state of Florida receives funding from the federal government to help low-income people pay their utility bills. The program that provides this funding is called the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). LIHEAP funds are distributed through community-based agencies working throughout Florida. Florida Power & Light works closely with both state and local agencies and organizations in the administration of LIHEAP and other such funds, as part of our ASSIST Program.

To be eligible to receive help, your household's income may not exceed 150 percent of the poverty guidelines. If your household's income is greater than this amount, you may still be eligible, because some types of income are not counted.

To find out where to apply for the funds, please visit the state of Florida 's Department of Community Affairs Web site, and then click on the link for the Community Assistance Local Programs & Contacts List. Locate your county on the list. The contact agency providing assistance in paying utility bills is listed under “LIHEAP.”

When applying for assistance, you must provide proof, such as a utility bill, that you are responsible for all or part of the energy costs for the household. Other requirements are explained here.

Individuals interested in applying for LIHEAP assistance should contact their local/state LIHEAP agency.
For more information, go to:


EHEAEP Program

The Emergency Home Energy Assistance for the Elderly program is available for financially eligible people, 60 years of age and older, who are experiencing an energy-related crisis.

A crisis may be an impending cut-off of utility services, lack of fuel or wood, a broken heating or cooling system, or an unusually hot or cold season energy expense. A recipient may receive financial assistance a maximum of twice a year — once during the heating season and again during the cooling season. Financial eligibility for this program is determined by a local community agency designated by the Florida Department of Elder Affairs.

Individuals interested in applying for EHEAEP assistance should contact their local/state EHEAEP agency. For more information, call 1-800-963-5337, or download the Listing of Florida EHEAEP Providers.

More information:

FEMA - Emergency Food and Shelter Program (EFSP)

FEMA's Emergency Food and Shelter Program was created by Congress to help meet the needs of hungry and homeless people throughout the United States and its territories by allocating federal funds for the provision of food and shelter.

Program funds are used to provide the following, as determined by the Local Board in funded jurisdictions:

  • Food, in the form of served meals or groceries.
  • Lodging in a mass shelter or hotel.
  • One month's rent or mortgage payment.
  • One month's utility bill. M
  • inimal repairs to allow a mass feeding or sheltering facility to function during the program year.
  • Equipment necessary to feed or shelter people, up to a $300 limit per item.

Click here for FEMA - EFSP locations and information by county.

More information:


FPL Care To Share Program®

The FPL Care To Share Program ® is sponsored by sponsored by FPL and is designed to provide emergency assistance funds to customers who are in a crisis situation and unable to pay their electric bill. It's funded by FPL corporate contributions, FPL employee donations and customer contributions, and administered by local nonprofit and/or government agencies.

More information:

Click here to add your comment...
My husband and I have been here for over a month and have had no luck with a job. We have a place we can move into but dont have the money for the security deposit n first months rent. We have been homeless for over 2 weeks. It's been very hard. I have high blood pressure and been though a terible ordeal. Please help. Any ideas are very welcome. I can not go on living like this!!!! W are in the Bushnell area.
Talk to help1970